Northern Central Railroad
We have yet to find a photo of the Melvale Station along the Northern Central Railroad, but we have been able to gather much information.
Back in 1861, the area near Melvale Station was a camp for troops guarding the Northern Central Railroad tracks. A article from 1959 states that at the fence line, someone had posted the name ” Camp Small” at the camp.
In 1901 – about $1,500 of improvements were planned for the Melvale Train Station and the grade between the station and the “falls”.
In 1924 , The name Cold Spring Lane was adopted to replace the name of Melvale, on the stretch of the road from Charles Street to the station in the area of the present day JFX. There were plans to call the section of Cold Spring near Loyola College ” Loyola Parkway”, but the present name of the street near the college remains Cold Spring Lane.
In 1928 – 12 train cars left the tracks near Melvale Station leaving Baltimore City. A Passenger train had just passed the area minutes earlier, but was not involved in the accident.
In 1930, plans were in the works to do away with the grade crossing at the train station. A bridge was being planned to carry Cold Spring Lane over the train tracks. By October of 1930, the viaduct appears to have been opened to traffic.