Baltimore Amusement Parks
I realize Tolchester Beach is not in Baltimore City, but Kilduff’s is focusing more on the entire State of Maryland. Over the years, Kilduffs has added much of Maryland and this postcard is the perfect header for this page. Just a quick steamboat trip to the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, and you were in Tolchester Beach.
Bay Shore Park
Before Baltimoreans traveled to Ocean City and the Atlantic Ocean Resorts, a day at the beach would often mean visiting one of the Chesapeake Bay Beaches or parks. Located in “Eastern Most Baltimore County” was Bay Shore Park, 30 acres of land , which included a pier jutting out on the water where a hot summer day could be cooled by the Bay breezes. The park had a pier for the steamboats coming out of Baltimore City, and a streetcar line also ran down to the Park . The Park opened in 1906 , and was sold to Bethlehem Steel in 1947 and torn down ( So the competition could not buy the property according to rumours) . One of the more popular rides was the ” People Dipper “, a ride that was actually located in the Bay’s waters, and would swing around and dip the riders into the water. The rides were moved to a new park around 1950, on Bay Island Beach, in which Bethlehem Steel again bought that site in 1964, and closed same. What was left of the that old park burned down a few years later.
Amusement Park- Near Baltimore’s Park Circle.
Below is a collection of old postcards of Baltimore’s Carlin’s Park. Located in Northwest Baltimore City, on the northwestern corner of Reisterstown Road and Druid Park Avenue ( commonly known as Park Circle ), the park operated until the 1950’s, when it was closed and later converted into Carlin’s Drive In Theatre, the only Drive In Theatre within the Baltimore City Limits. The Drive In later closed down in the 1970’s and the site is a mix of industrial and businesses today
Belvedere Avenue At Reisterstown Road
Electric Park was an early amusement park, which started out as a trotting track , located in the Northwest section of Baltimore City. The park was razed around 1915, and development since then has completely erased any traces of the old park. The postcard ( below ) shows the park around 1907. A trolley pulled up right to the gate of the Park, and light bulbs were used to light up the Park at night, a new curiosity in the early 1900’s. The park, had rides, fountains, a theatre, and various amusements. In 1909, a airship launched from Electric Park and flew to downtown Baltimore, having a bit of a crash landing on a roof of a downtown business. Electric Park boasted 24 rides, including a carousel, 2 roller coasters, swimming pool, boat lake, vaudeville, band concerts, and the cyclorama of the Johnstown Flood,
The Enchanted Forest
Ellicott City – Howard County Maryland
“The Enchanted Forest on U.S. Route 40 , 15 miles west from Baltimore, about seven minutes west of Beltway exit 15. ……The castle-walled storybook playland for youngsters under 12 features a variety of rides with themes which have been taken from the pages of fairy tales, Mother Goose and other children’s favorites……Children can take the Teacup Ride to the court of the Queen of Hearts or the Safari Ride through an African jungle. Little Toot : the Lovable tugboat : will take them around his lake , and a raft will carry them to Robinson Crusoe’s island stockade. Cinderella, Aladdin, Snow White and Mother Goose herself are at the Enchanted Forest to greet their admirers….Children will also find real ponies to ride and deer, goats, bunnies, and a lamb to pet. Snacks are served by the Merry Men at Robin Hood’s Barn. Enchanted Forest is open from mid-May to mid-September on Weekdays from 10AM to 4 PM and on the weekends from 10 AM to 6 PM. From mid-September to the end of October, it is open weekends only, from 10 AM to 5 PM. Closed winter.
Admission : $ 1.25 per adult ; 75 cents for children between two and 12, children under 2 , free. There are extra charges ( usually a quarter each ) for some of the rides. “
Gwynn Oak Park
Woodlawn ( Baltimore County ) Maryland
Another of the amusement parks in Baltimore, Gwynn Oak Park could be found on Gwynn Oak Avenue in Northwest Baltimore, between the City County Live and Woodlawn. The Park has been gone since 1974, partly due to Huricane Agnes damage. Adam has a great page on the old park. The park was serviced by streetcar lines, and has rides which included the Ferris Wheel, Looper, Moon Rocket, Flying Scooter, and Dodgem Cars. The park was also popular for picnics.
” One of the last of the old-time midway-like amusement parks in the Baltimore-Washington area, Gwynn Oak offers thrill rides ( and tamer ones too ) , games and boating. It is open from mid-April to Labor Day …….Closed Mondays…Admission is free. Rides costs from 20 cents to 40 cents.”
Riverview Park opened as Lowrey’s Place, a beer garden, which later named itself Point Breeze. By 1898, the beer garden made way for the RiverView Amusement park, which last to 1929, when it was torn down for the building of the Western Electric’s Point Breeze plant. Riverview was said to have been one of Baltimore’s more popular parks back in the day, with good rides and good food. It ‘s knickname for years was the ” Coney Island of the South”. As seen in the postcards below, Riverview had quite an entranceway, and over the years, the park survived several fires
Glen Echo Park – Montgomery County Maryland
All Rights Reserved 2019 PeterDPaul.Com