Airports – The old ones of Baltimore and Maryland

Airport_40_Baltimore_LoganField_photo

Back in the 1920’s, Baltimore’s airfield was known as Logan Field, and was on the Eastside of town, in Dundalk.¬†airport_41_Baltimore_LoganField_Photo

Airport_61_Baltimore_LoganField_1929

Logan Field was replaced by Harbor Field, which was just west of Logan, and bordered the water. There were years when many planes, known as the Flying Clippers, actually used the water to take off and land.

Airport_57_Baltimore_MunicipalAirpotr_1938

Airport_21_DundalkFlyingBoatB&W

Airport_3A_Dundalk_FlyingBoat

Land runways were built to replace the water landings, but the airport had issues with runways sinking and the ground not being quite as steady as they had hoped for at Harbor Field. The airport also went by the name of Municipal Airport.

airport_11_Baltimore_HarborField_1930s_photo

airport_15_MunicipalAirport_map

By the 1950’s, work was being done on Friendship Airport, in Anne Arundel County Maryland, a few miles south of Baltimore City.

Airport_504_FriendshipAirport_PC

Airport_502_FriendshipAirport_PC

airport_7_Friendship_observatory_PC

Airport_5_Friendship_Airport_2\

airport_8_Friendship_Runway

airport_24_Baltimore_Friendship_PC2

airport_16_FriendshipAirport_PlanesLoading

airport_10_openingdayfriendshipairport_PC

Friendship Airport changed it’s name in later years to BWI Airport, and later to Thurgood Marshall Airport.

Airport_113_Baltimore1990s